Information on local music events that may be of interest to our members or supporters. If you would like to add an event to this page then please let us know.
There are a growing number of live concerts planned in West Berkshire, South Oxford and Reading areas, we suggest you check beforehand that the concert is still being performed. Below are those I have found for May and June.
- Galliard Ensemble Mozart, Adagio and Allegro in F minor K.594, Briccialdi Quintet for Winds in D Major Op.124, McDowall Subject to the weather, Berio Opus Number Zoo, Ibert Trois Pièces Brèves, Grainger Walking Tune and Lisbon, Ligeti Six Bagatelles and Patterson Westerley Winds; at Reading Concert Hall on 17th May
- BBC Concert Orchestra, Edward Elgar – The Spanish Lady, Op.89, Frederick Delius – Petite Suite no.1, Samuel Coleridge-Taylor – Violin Concerto, Op.80, William Alwyn – Concerto Grosso no.1 in B flat major, Reginald (R. O.) Morris – Sinfonia in C and Ralph Vaughan Williams – Old King Cole at Dorchester Abbey on 27th May
- Gareth Brynmor John and Christopher Glynn includes: Harold Truscott – Two Songs, Ralph Vaughan Williams – Rondel, How Can the Tree but Wither? and The Splendour Falls, Edward Elgar – A Song of Flight, Op.31 no.2, The Muleteer’s Serenade and In Moonlight, Op.50
Joseph Holbrooke – Annabel Lee, Op.41b, Granville Bantock – Song to the Seals and Ozymandias, plus various songs by Havergal Brian at Dorchester Abbey on 28th May (morning).
- Chamber Music Wind Quintet with Piano, W.A.Mozart – Adagio and Allegro in F minor K.594, Claude Arrieu – Suite en Quatre, Norman Hallam – Dance Suite, Francis Poulenc – Sextet for Piano and Winds, K-J Ankarblom – A Swedish Medley at Leighton Park School on 28th May.
- Vaughan Williams Mass in G minor and British choral favourites with David Wordsworth, Conductor and the Addison Singers; Ralph Vaughan Williams – Mass in G minor, Charles Villiers Stanford – 3 Motets, Op.38, Charles Wood – Hail Gladdening Light, John Gardner – Fear No More, George Dyson – Evening, John Ireland – Spring, the Sweet Spring, George Alexander Macfarren – Orpheus with his Lute, Charles Wood – Full Fathom Five, Frederick Delius – Three Preludes for Piano, Arthur Bliss – Put Thou Thy Trust in the Lord, Ralph Vaughan Williams – Prayer to the Father of Heaven at Silk Hall – Radley College, Abingdon on 29th May (afternoon)
- Reading Festival Chorus Most Heavenly Music! Shakespearean Songs and Sonnets, at The Wren School on 25th June
- Wokingham Choral Society, JS Bach: Mass in B minor at The Great Hall, University of Reading on 25th June.
- Benson Choral Society Cecilia McDowall: Ave Maris Stella, Vaughan Williams – Five Mystical Songs at Dorchester Abbey on 25th June
- Piano Quintets by Elgar and Ian Venables with Coull Quartet with Mark Bebbington, piano, Frank Bridge – 3 Idylls, H.67, Ian Venables – Piano Quintet, Op.27, Edward Elgar – Piano Quintet in A Minor, Op.84 at St Mary-le-More Church Wallingford on 25th June
- The Sixteen & Harry Christophers, Tallis Tunes for Archbishop, Parker’s Psalter, Gibbons The Silver Swan, Macmillan Mitte manum tuam, Byrd Laudibus in sanctis and Britten Gloriana Dances at The Concert Hall Reading 0n 29th June.
We have found a number of useful on-line sites for both advertising Pangbourne Choral Society and finding interesting music concerts etc.
This is another source for local concerts (mostly choirs) – but check with the choir that the event is still on
For classical concerts and opera performance throughout the UK Classical Events is very useful – we add our concerts when appropriate
Making Music is a membership organisation for leisure-time music, with over 3,700 groups representing around 200,000 music makers across the UK, It includes a comprehensive database of these groups – our entry .